Offering Support When You Lose a Pet
Losing a pet is never easy. Peninsula Center Pet Hospital understands and provides support when your animal companions approach the end of life. Our end-of-life services include palliative care, hospice, and in-home euthanasia.
Pay Tribute to Your Pet
Celebrate the life of your animal companion at a beautiful site with a memorial. This distinctive tribute allows pet owners to post photos, stories, and memories.
Companion Animal Memorial Fund
Dr. Herrera has been a strong supporter for many years of the Center for Companion Animal Health (CCAH), which is affiliated with the UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine. The mission of CCAH is to provide research and program support to improve the health and wellbeing of companion animals through:
- Raising funds
- Supporting animal health studies
- Providing facilities
- Serving as an educational resource
- Developing programs related to animal health
The CCAH funds competitive research concerned with improving the diagnosis, treatment, management, prevention, and control of diseases that affect companion animals. CCAH also serves as an educational resource for veterinarians, breeders, and the general public, continually exploring programs that will improve the health and wellbeing of companion animals. Explore the programs CCAH supports.
Pet Loss Resources
Please note: This list is provided for your information and does not imply endorsement of these programs, resources, or services by the University of California or the Center for Companion Animal Health. We hope this information will be helpful to those who may be grieving. Also please don’t hesitate to call us. We are here for you.
Online Pet Loss Resources
- Additional pet loss resources can be found on the Companion Animal Behavior Program website.
Pet Loss Support Hotlines
Although UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine does not have a pet loss helpline at this time, they have compiled a wonderful list of people who really would like to listen and help with the understandable pain of your loss.
ASPCA Pet Loss Support Hotline
Cornell University Pet Loss Support Hotline
(607) 253-3932 6 p.m. – 9 p.m. Tuesday – Thursday evenings (Eastern time)
University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine C.A.R.E. Pet Loss Support Hotline
Pet Loss Support Websites
These websites are a wonderful way to remember your pet: post photos, write stories or poems, exchange memories, or even name a star after your beloved pet.
- ASPCA Pet Loss Support Program
- Pet Partners, the former Delta Society
- Gone to Dog Star but Never Forgotten
- The Rainbow Bridge
Published Materials on Grief & Pet Loss
- Going Home: Finding Peace When Pets Die by Jon Katz
- Saying Goodbye to Your Angel Animals: Finding Comfort After Losing Your Pet by Alan Anderson and Linda Anderson
- Pet Loss: Thoughtful Guide for Adults and Children by Herbert A. Nieburg
- Remembering My Pet by Nechama Liss-Levinson PhD, Rev. Molly Phinney
- There Are No Sad Dogs in Heaven: Finding Comfort After the Loss of a Pet by Sonya Fitzpatrick